Stock items include all the additives (e.g., tartaric acid, KMBS, Fermaid), packaging components (e.g., bottles, corks, capsules, labels, cartons, dividers), and packaged (bottled) goods that you keep in inventory, as opposed to bulk liquid.
Before you can manipulate, price, or consume these items, you’ll need to create them in vintrace as unique stock items.
Creating a Stock Item
To create a stock item:
- Click Inventory in the sidebar.
- Click New Item.
- From the Stock Type list, select the type of item you want to create.
A window for the selected stock item displays. For example, if you selected Closure from the Stock Type list, the Closure Item window displays.
- Specify the details for the stock item. Below is a description of the available fields in the General tab.
- Stock Code — This is the “key field” that vintrace will use throughout its history to identify this unique stock item. We recommend prefixing each stock item with an identifier that will make it easier for you to find the item in the future. You can choose any method of labeling your stock items. For example, you could use the following prefixes: BTL = Bottle; CAP = Capsule; ADD = Additive; CRK = Cork. In the example below, we’ve prefixed our silver screwcap item with SCAP.
- Unit — Select the unit of measure for the item.
- Order Price — If you want to maintain a base price for the item, enter it in this field. This is most commonly used for items where you have long-term price guarantees. You can change the price at a later time, but you can also control the unit cost as you do you stock receipts.
- Owner — Enter or search for the stock item’s owner. If you’re not a custom crush facility, you’ll generally choose your winery.
- Account — The general ledger account that’s used by your accounting department.
- Stock Category — Select the category, or create a new one. The stock category helps group items for easier searching and reporting.
- Tax Class (US clients only) — Select the tax class for the item. Use this field only for stock items that contain alcohol (i.e., finished wine/cider, or spirits/concentrates). The most common tax classes used for regular still wines are 14-21%; 21-24%; and Not Over 14%.
- Alcohol Content — This is optional for alcoholic stock items. It’s not necessary for you to enter this manually as it will not migrate from the bulk wine associated with a packaging.
- Enable Batch Tracking — Select this checkbox to enable batch tracking. Once this setting is enabled, it cannot be disabled in the future. Batch tracking is of particular interest under the US Bioterrorism Act, and other state and federal regulations. It particularly applies to additives, but may be used with other stock items. Use the batch/lot shown on the packing or invoice.
- Click Save.
Finding and Viewing Stock Items
There are a number of ways to find stock items:
- From the Stock Search window that’s displayed when you click Inventory in the sidebar.
- From vintrace’s search bar.
If you prefixed your stock items with an identifier, you can quickly find those items by using the prefix.