We strongly recommend that you only make changes to your account setup under the direction of your accountant and/or vintrace Support.
For the purpose of tracking the movement of money to your Asset, Work in Production, and Cost of Goods Sold accounts, vintrace operates as a sub-ledger to Xero.
For each account you want to track in Xero, you’ll need to set up an account in vintrace that will be linked to the account in Xero. Based on this configuration, vintrace will determine what production transactions are journaled each time you sync the account with Xero.
Setting Up an Account
Our Setting Up a Ledger Account article details how to configure your ledger accounts in vintrace. Several default accounts are included in vintrace.
We recommend that you review these accounts and do the following:
- Review the account name and change it if necessary. We recommend using the same account names that are used in Xero.
- In the Account Code field, enter the Xero account code that you want to link the account to.
Ensure the account’s Cost Method is correct. Refer to our Direct vs. Indirect Costing on an Account article for details.
- Set the Opening Date and Account Balance to reflect your existing chart of accounts balance as of the selected opening date.
- If the account can be synced to your general ledger, select the Syncable checkbox.
You’re not required to set up your entire Chart of Accounts in vintrace. You can set up only those accounts that pertain to vintrace as it operates as a sub-ledger (i.e., Asset, Work in Progress, Cost of Goods Sold).
Using the Accounts with vintrace Items
After you’ve set up your accounts, you can link them to the following items in vintrace:
- Cost items — Used for adhoc cost adjustments
- General items — Used on purchase orders
- Barrel category — Used on purchase orders
- Sales order items — Used on sales orders
- Programs — Used for linking bulk products.
- Stock category — Used for linking finished good or dry-good stock at a category level.
- Stock Item — Used for linking specific finished good or dry good items.
Setting Up Default Ledger Accounts
In situations where no account is linked to a specific item, vintrace will use the default ledger account that’s specified. For example, a wine product with no program will fall into the default Work In Progress account. A stock item that doesn’t have an account linked to it will fall into the default Asset account.
You can set up default ledger accounts for:
- Work in progress
- Cost of goods
- Write Off
You can set up your default ledger accounts from the Winery Setup window (Setup Options > Accounts > Account):
- Click Set Up in the sidebar.
- Click Accounts.
- From the Accounts tile, click Configure.
- Click Defaults.
The Configure Default Ledger Accounts window displays.
- Select the default ledger account to use.
- Click OK.
After configuring your accounts, we recommend that you configure your tax and excise rates.